Research Data Analyst
Position: Research Data Analyst at The Learning Agency Lab
Location: Remote/home office anywhere in the United States (Willing to work ET hours)
Summary: The Learning Agency Lab is hiring a Research Data Analyst to support projects across the organization. Research Data Analysts are typically early career professionals with 1-3 years of experience in similar roles.
As a part of the role, the individual will support team members with data analysis and education research across a wide range of projects.
Ideal candidates are comfortable working quickly while remaining adaptable, will have a keen attention to detail, and be ultra-organized, independent, and curious. The position will provide the individual with significant exposure to trends in the education and technology fields and has high potential for career growth.
About The Learning Agency Lab:
The Learning Agency Lab is an education-focused nonprofit that works with a variety of organizations like foundations, universities, and nonprofits that support innovation in education. We manage programs (including data science competitions) and build community around artificial intelligence and machine learning applications for education to achieve change.
Some projects the Learning Agency Lab works on include the Open Data for Assessment Fund and Imagenet for Education. The team is fully remote. The founder is based in Washington, DC. To learn more about the organization, please visit www.the-learning-agency-lab.com.
About our team culture:
We’re a small, dedicated team working on diverse projects. We look for individuals who are eager to apply their expertise to support different projects. Our work is fast-paced and we work remotely across different time zones. We’re do-ers and problem-solvers who rely on clear deadlines, strong follow-through, and proactive communication to keep our projects moving. Team members should be able to both work independently and engage collaboratively across projects and stakeholder groups.
About the Research Data Analyst:
The Research Data Analyst will contribute to our mission of enhancing educational outcomes through open datasets, open data science competitions, and open-source tools. This section describes a candidate that would be a fantastic fit for this role in each key area of responsibility:
Data Analysis and Visualization
You have excellent programming skills in languages such as Python or R, combined with an impeccable eye for detail. You take pleasure in exploring data and formulating research questions that delve deep into its nuances. Your ability to translate complex findings into understandable insights for a non-technical audience sets. In this role, you will:
- Utilize Python, R, or similar languages to conduct comprehensive data analysis.
- Employ keen attention to detail to ensure the accuracy and reliability of analytical results.
- Demonstrate natural curiosity by formulating insightful research questions that drive meaningful analysis.
- Effectively communicate complex findings to diverse audiences, adapting your approach to suit non-technical stakeholders.
Machine Learning Competition Design
You’re excited to support the design of competitions that will produce impactful AI applications for students and teachers. Your interest in machine learning and knack for analytical thinking shines as you contribute to designing these competitions. In this capacity, you will:
- Source and evaluate datasets, ensuring data quality, relevance, and diversity.
- Design competition frameworks, including task definition, evaluation metric, and success criteria.
- Develop clear documentation for participants on the relevant dataset and competition design.
Some of our projects require specific expertise, and we are especially excited about candidates that have experience in machine learning or learning sciences research.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications, knowledge, and skills:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 1-3 years of professional work experience
- Experience with programming languages like Python, R, or Stata
- Knowledge of descriptive and inferential statistics
- Exceptional organizational skills and keen attention to detail
- Exemplary follow-through and flexibility, especially in the face of unexpected challenges
- Interest in the education field and passion for educational equity
Salary is commensurate with experience.
The Learning Agency Lab offers a comprehensive benefits package for full-time salaried employees, including health benefits, a 401(k) program, and generous leave policies.
You can apply for the Research Data Analyst role here.